Aqua Foundation 2018 Grants Program
Who we are: Since 2004, Aqua Foundation for Women has been committed to serving and supporting the lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community in South Florida through grants, scholarships, and initiatives.
Funding availability: The 2018 Grants program will provide grants totalling $30,000 to an organization[s] who is able to demonstrate their effectiveness at meeting the objectives outlined below.
Purpose: According to a recent study from Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago, LGBTQ youth are more likely to experience homelessness than their peers. Youth who identify as LGBTQ make up 20% of those who report being homeless and can increase up to 40% in larger urban communities such as South Florida. We have seen this higher risk reflected in our community in which LGBTQ youth are disproportionately represented in the unaccompanied homeless youth population in Miami-Dade County. During the 2018 iCount, about 25% of homeless youth self-identified as LGBTQ. We believe that this number is conservative based on the reluctance of youth to disclose their sexual orientation or gender identify and also the difficulty in accurately counting the number of youth who are homeless.
In 2013, Aqua Foundation for Women lead the charge to raise funding to support LGBTQ youth who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The Miami Foundation’s GLBT Projects Fund and Our Fund joined forces with Aqua and together we raised funding that was distributed to The Alliance for LGBTQ Youth and Pridelines, thus creating Project Safe, a program to provide care coordination and wrap around services for the youth.
The focus of the 2018 Grants program is to continue to further address the crisis of homelessness among our youth community, specifically those who identify as LGBTQ. Successful applicants will clearly articulate how they will meet one or both of the following objectives through collaboration, leveraging and innovative programming.
- Improve quality of life for LGBT youth, ages 18-24 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Greater Miami
- Strengthen and expand the capacity of organizations seeking to have the greatest impact in the lives of LGBTQ youth who are homeless or at risk of being homeless
Eligibility to apply
Applicants should be non-profit organizations that have:
1) Demonstrated involvement in addressing LGBTQ issues
2) Projects and programs that benefit Miami-Dade County residents
3) 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or projects with an established fiscal agent
We prefer to focus funding on:
1) Innovative programs, especially those that have a grassroots or community outreach component and will engage LGBTQ youth as partners in strengthening systems and services
2) Projects that use innovative techniques or use collaborative methods to address the objectives outlined above
Applicants must first submit a letter of intent. To receive the form for the letter of intent please contact email@example.com. You will receive the form by the end of the day you make the request. If you have an issue with receiving the form please call Robin @ 305-794-1864.
Organizations who are invited to submit a full application will be contacted via email.
Each organization may submit one proposal. If a program is a collaborative effort between two or more nonprofits, partners must select one nonprofit to serve as lead applicant. Colleges and universities may submit up to two requests from different departments , which will be considered competitively against each other and other applications.
The Fund’s Committee will evaluate requests and may conduct in-person interviews with applicants during the review process. Please note: interviews are for informational purposes and not indicative of funding decisions.
The 2018 Grant application timeline is as follows :
- Letter of Intent available for submission on September 4, 2018
- The deadline for submitting an LOI is September 21, 2018 at midnight
- LOI applicants will be notified if they have been invited to submit a full application by September 30, 2018
- The grant full application (by invitation only) submissions deadline will be October 21, 2018 at midnight
- We will review, select and notify by November 14th, 2018. All applicants will be notified.
Contact Robin Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.