Aqua Foundation Scholarship Application is now open!
Each year Aqua Foundation awards scholarships to LBTQ individuals that are demonstrating leadership skills within their school, work or community. The scholarship awards are typically between $3,000 and $4,000. Scholars are also paired up with a mentor who is there to support them through school, work and community.
Aqua Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion of all members of the LBTQ community in terms of race and gender-identity. We encourage applicants across the gender spectrum that identify as LBTQ to apply for the scholarship.
To apply for the scholarship click HERE. Application is in a Word Document. Make sure to download the document onto your computer and work on the application from there. Do not open as a Google Doc. Once your application is complete make sure to save it as a PDF file and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due by June 4th at 11:59pm.
Eligibility Requirements, Program Requirements and FAQs:
Who is eligible to apply?
- Must identify as LBTQ and attend a college or university in the South Florida area or Florida (exceptions are made if you are attending school remotely and living in Florida)
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled for the full academic year (Fall 2017 to Spring 2018)
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or graduate degree
- Scholars are required to attend the following program events/meetings. All will take place in Miami:
- Scholar/Mentor matching mixer – August 2017 – Exact date TBD
- LBT Emerging Leaders Conference – September 2017 – Exact date TBD
- Five scholar/mentor bi-monthly meetings between October 2017 and June 2018 (Meetings will be held in October, December, February, April and June. Exact date TBD)
- Service project – January or March of 2018. Exact date TBD and based on scholar input
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher per semester
- Scholars must meet with their mentors on a monthly basis
- Complete 10 service hours
Do I need to attend school in South Florida?
No. You can attend school in other parts of Florida; however, because of the requirement to attend the bi-monthly meetings, leadership conference and complete service hours, scholars need to be able to make travel accommodations to be present.
What if my GPA is lower than a 3.0? Can I still apply?
Yes. We encourage applicants to apply even if their GPA is below the minimum requirement. Applicants with a GPA below a 3.0 will be required to answer an additional question about their GPA.
I have not yet been admitted to a college or university. Can I still apply?
Yes. You can apply and indicate that you are waiting for the school’s response.
What do the scholar/mentor bi-monthly meetings mean?
Scholars and mentors are required to attend the five bi-monthly meetings established for the program. The meetings will focus primarily on honing and further developing leadership skills as well as building community for LBT individuals.
- May 8th – Application opens
- June 4th – Application closes at 11:59pm
- Accepted scholars will be notified week of July 10th
Please contact MJ Castells (email@example.com) for any questions about the scholarship program or the Aqua Foundation.
Quotes from Scholars on the Impact of the Program
“The Aqua Foundation Scholarship allows me to continue to afford my legal education, and frees me to spend more time being an advocate, a mentor, and a voice, not only for myself but for all that are members of the LGBT community.” -Charrise Alexander (2012-2013)
“I am extremely excited to become more involved with Aqua Foundation for Women, and I can’t wait to meet my mentor. I’ve been waiting to give back to the LBT community and to be seen as a leader, and this is such an honor.” – Bridget Pelaez (2011-2014)
“Aqua Foundation has given me the opportunity to succeed in college which will, in turn, prepare me to become an activist for the LGBTQ community. Thank you, Aqua!” – Mageda Abdulhad (2010-2014)
You may also contact us via email or phone (305.576.2782) for more information or if you have any questions about the program.